Alliteration, assonance, and consonance
The Raven – Edgar Allen Poe
“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore—
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
“’Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—
Only this and nothing more.”
Alliteration is the repetition of an initial letter or sound within a lines of poetry, such as the red highlights above.
Assonance is the repetition of matching vowels or vowel sounds in lines of poetry, as in Blue highlights above.
Consonance is the repetition of matching consonants, as in the orange highlights above,
As a note, I have marked more that some would, as it is often held that these things are to be taken line by line. I myself think this idea is nonsense, because the next line is just as close as the line itself, and to go 4 or 5 lines is entirely reasonable because if rhyme is easy to memorize than surely the brain picks up of these things a few lines away.
- Recently Set Up a Second blogI just wanted to inform anyone who might subscribe or visits that I have recently set up a second blog. Please check it out. Thanks. This new blog contains a lot more resources on poetry learning.
- The Will to Loose – A Poem by JPDo not despair, they’ll always talk about the will to win, but I ask you—
- Green Park Benches ~ A Poem by JPOld bearded men drifting in the alleys of night have died with the sunset and as I have overlooked their bodies beneath green park benches and bridges they too have overlooked my feet passing quietly by as the waitress slips silently into her second or third miserable job.
- The Lions Roar ~ A Poem by JPThe lions roar is very loud– He voices his power just like a god, And none would ever doubt The terror as it strikes them down, But lions know little of courageous things.
- The Depths ~ A Poem by JPI’ve seen enough creation, And gazed long at the depths Of fathomless oceans, And deeper still into the stars
- Hunters In The Dark Wood ~ A Poem by JPLong, at last, The Vostok had pierced the darkness and thrust Yuri into the firmament; We leapt from spherical craft to the vault of heaven, and waded ourselves in a bit with legs new formed like a tadpole in morph.